According to the National Safety Council (NSC), the increase in the rate of 2020 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. was the largest since 1924. The NSC estimates that 42,060 people have died in U.S. car accidents in 2020. So why are car accidents on the rise? This is especially surprising considering that road traffic decreased in 2020 due to stay-at-home orders and travel restrictions. Read on to learn more about car accidents in Arizona.
How Do Car Accidents Occur?
Car accidents occur often. Many car accidents are due to inclement weather, poor road conditions, and faulty car parts. But, the majority of accidents are a result of driver negligence. In fact, texting while driving is the leading cause of accidents in the U.S. Other examples of negligence include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Drowsy driving
- Driving aggressively
- Driving recklessly
- Driving at excessive speeds
What to Do After an Accident Occurs?
If you are involved in a car accident, there are some important measures to take:
- Call 911: The police can call an ambulance, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene: If possible, take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Be sure to document the damage done to all vehicles and property involved.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, obtain their contact information. They may be able to corroborate your version of events later on.
- Seek medical attention: It is important that you visit the hospital, an urgent care facility, or your doctor immediately after the accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, make sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney: A skilled attorney may be able to obtain further proof of negligence, including police reports, security camera footage, and other evidence you may not otherwise have access to.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in Arizona, contact our firm today to speak with a dedicated personal injury attorney. We are here to advocate for you and walk you through each step of the process.
Contact our Experienced Arizona Firm
The legal team at Weintraub & Weintraub has years of experience representing clients who have been injured in accidents due to the negligence of others as well as those who are facing charges of driving under the influence. Those injured due to another party’s negligence should never have to suffer alone. If you need strong legal representation, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today.